[LUAU] Automated voting...

Michael Sawyer mws at soest.hawaii.edu
Fri Jun 18 01:01:10 PDT 1999

I've been working with Ron Willis on setting up a system for
computer-assisted vote tallying.  I'd like to do some testing of the
system to make sure everything is working right.  Ron asked me to go
ahead and do the test myself, since he is still in the process of getting
the software set up on his machine.  Thus, at the end of this message is
a sample ballot, without any real candidate names (except for the
Webmaster position, since we only expect one person there, and I was too
lazy to think up someone else to add there).

Unless the LUAU list server strips it off, there should be a Reply-To:
line on this message pointing to "vote at chameleon.net"  If you could go
ahead and submit a "vote" on this and let me know if anything goes wrong,
it would be greatly appreciated.  On that note, if you want to make
intentional mistakes, to see how flexable the system is, feel free to do
so; I wrote the software in a couple of hours, so there could still be
some holes in it.  Right now, I have it set up so that multiple votes
from the same address will override previous votes, so if you send a
ballot to that address more than once, only the last one will take.
(This can be changed to a first-vote-only system easily.)  I'll also
probably post the full vote list for this one, so you can make sure that
the recorded votes match what the auto-reply said it recorded your votes as.

The software supports setting up a list of addresses allowed to submit
votes, though it is currently allowing anyone to make a vote.

Thanks all!

						Mike

This is a sample ballot.  It isn't real.

This is the ballot for the LUAU officer election of July, 1999.  To
place your vote, place X characters inside the brackets below for the
candidates you wish to vote for, and send the message back to
"vote at chameleon.net".  Do not vote for more than one candidate per
race.  Do not change any of the lines starting with *'s, except to add
your vote.  If you change your mind or the system mis-records your vote,
you may re-submit the vote to make a correction.

The following candidates are running for the position of President:

* PRESIDENT Bill_Clinton	[ ]
* PRESIDENT Bob_Dole		[ ]
* PRESIDENT Bob_Barker		[ ]

The following candidates are running for the position of
Vice-President:

* VICE_PRESIDENT Al_Gore	[ ]
* VICE_PRESIDENT Al_Smith	[ ]
* VICE_PRESIDENT Peewee_Herman	[ ]

The following candidates are running for the position of Secretary:

* SECRETARY Linda_Tripp		[ ]
* SECRETARY Hillary_Clinton	[ ]

The following candidates are running for the position of Treasurer:

* TREASURER Al_Greenspan	[ ]
* TREASURER Bill_Gates		[ ]

The following candidate is running for the position of Webmaster:

* WEBMASTER Mike_Ballon		[ ]

--
-    / /  / / / / __  / / / /  Home Page: http://luau.hi.net