[LUAU] APM

gsublett at lava.net gsublett at lava.net
Fri Jun 18 00:11:53 PDT 1999

On 18-Jun-99 James Wang wrote:
> Is there a way in Kernel 2.2.x to make it so that your hd turns off in x
> minutes and your monitor turns of in x min? If so, does anyone know how?
>
> James

James,

I have a few references for you to look at for possible solutions:

http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/mini/Battery-Powered.html
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/apm.html

If your talking ide drives, your should also check the utility hdparm:
man hdparm
man 8 hdparm

For your monitor, if we talking a running X server, your should check the
utility xset:
man xset

As an example, I use xset at the end of xinitrc script that provides
parameters for the X server as follows:

xset +dpms                 <--- enable DPMS (Enery Star) features
xset dpms 600 1200 1800    <--- standby, suspend, off (expressed in seconds)
exec xfwm                  <--- starts the window manager (in this case
                                xfwm for the xfce desktop

The relevant section in the kernel configuration for APM is in the general
setup section - be aware that the Advanced Power Management BIOS support
driver for the kernel does not spin down drives or turn off VESA-compliant
"green" monitors.

Gary
gsublett at lava.net
--