[LUAU] LUAU election process - Draft

Ronald L Fox rfox at dls.queens.org
Wed Jun 16 19:33:39 PDT 1999

I wanted to expand on the nomination/election process that we
discussed and agreed on at the June 15th meeting.  Ron Willis
and I conferred by phone today to try to firm up the process
and refresh each other's memory of the agreed-upon mechanics.
Here's what we came up with:

1) The organizational structure of LUAU will initially be composed
   of the traditional officers (President, Vice President, Secretary,
   Treasurer) plus a Webmaster who will be members of the Executive
   Committee.  One of the first tasks of the Executive Committee
   after election will be to draft the Bylaws of LUAU which will
   be presented to the membership for a vote.  The Bylaws will
   specify the roles of the officers and other details.  See the
   Bylaws of the Linux Users of Los Angeles as an example:
     http://www.lula.org/bylaws.html

2) There will be one class of member in LUAU which will be a voting
   member with 1 vote per member.  Qualifications for membership will
   be refined in the Bylaws.  Members must register for membership
   with their real name and voting e-mail address.  The list of
   members will not be public (to prevent the e-mail addresses from
   being sucked up by spammers) but will be available to those who
   are counting ballots to ensure that each ballot is received from
   a registered member and no more than once from each member.  If
   time permits, the registration process will be set up with a
   Web form on the official LUAU site at http://luau.hi.net.  If
   the form based process is not in place for the first election,
   an E-mail form will be posted to the mailing list with the
   reply-to set to Ron Willis and Joe Schuller who have agreed to
   independently receive and count votes for the first election.
   Other details of membership such as how long a member may remain
   such without voting activity will be specified in the Bylaws.

3) We will hold an election for LUAU officers now with nominations
   commencing immediately as follows:
   a) You may nominate yourself or another member for a specific
      position as listed above.
   b) Your nomination must be made publicly by a posting to the
      LUAU mailing list.  (Note: Do not send your nominations to
      Ron Willis or Joe Schuller or anyone else privately.)
   c) Your nomination posting subject should begin with the word
      "NOMINATION" to allow for easy collation of the list.  If
      you are proposing a NEW nomination (and not just commenting
      on a previous nomination, make sure that the subject begins
      with "NOMINATION" and not "RE: [LUAU] NOMINATION".
   d) All nominations must be accepted by the nominee via public
      declaration to the E-mail list.  Please begin the subject
      of your acceptance or declination with "ACCEPT" or "DECLINE"
      as appropriate.  If you accept, you may wish to introduce
      yourself to the members, make speeches, etc.  If you decline
      you may wish to explain why you can't serve, or not.  The
      deadline for posting a nomination to the list is 21 June 1999,
      Monday at 23:59 HST (as received by news.hi.net).
   e) If you are nominated by someone else and do not accept as
      in 3d) by 22 June 1999, Tuesday at 21:00 HST, your nomination
      will be considered as declined.
   f) I will compile the nominations, cross-check the acceptances and
      declinations and submit a list to Ron Willis and Joe Schuller
      by 22 June 1999, Tuesday at 23:59 HST for them to review for
      accuracy.
   g) An official ballot will be prepared and posted to the list by
      24 June 1999, Thursday at 23:59 HST.  The reply-to header of
      this posting will contain Ron Willis' and Joe Schuller's
      e-mail address ONLY.  There will be a place on the ballot
      for you to fill in your full name and voting e-mail address
      (if you have more than one address, pick one to use as your
      voting address) and boxes to mark with an "X" for your vote
      for each office.
   h) The deadline for submission of ballots was not determined at
      the meeting but we propose one week, ending 1 July 1999,
      Thursday at 23:59 HST unless anyone objects.
   i) The votes will be tallied by Ron Willis and Joe Schuller
      independently, the results compared by them, any discrepancies
      resolved and the results announced by a public posting to
      the list by 3 July 1999, Saturday at 23:59 HST.

Please note that the subject of this message contains the word "Draft".
If there is no objection to my statement of the process, it will be
reissued to the list with "Draft" replaced by "Approved" and the
provisional deadline for ballot submission made official.  If I've
overlooked, misstated or otherwise botched it up or if anyone that
wasn't at the meeting has objections, please state them to the list
for quick discussion and resolution.

Thanks,
Ron Fox

--