[LUAU] rrsetup

Doug Stanfield DOUGS at oceanic.com
Sat Jan 30 13:24:08 PST 1999

One thing to watch out for if you aren't the only one using a machine.  When
you edit the file /etc/profile you change the path for everyone.  In this
case you probably wanted that.

If you want to change the path or other environment variable only for when
you log in, there is a file in your home directory.  Do the following:

[dougs at mybox dougs]$ cd /etc
[dougs at mybox /etc]$ cd
[dougs at mybox dougs]$ ls -al
total 11285
drwx------   8 dougs    dougs        1024 Jan 26 11:11 .
drwxr-xr-x  22 root     root         1024 Dec 31 09:02 ..
-rw-rw-r--   1 dougs    dougs       11263 Jan 30 09:12 .bash_history
-rw-r--r--   1 dougs    dougs          24 Aug 25 10:35 .bash_logout
-rw-r--r--   1 dougs    dougs         293 Oct 24 10:50 .bash_profile
-rw-r--r--   1 dougs    dougs         178 Jan 26 10:00 .bashrc
-rw-rw-r--   1 dougs    dougs          21 Oct  3 10:37 .vimrc
[dougs at mybox dougs]$ vi .bash_profile

# .bash_profile

# Get the aliases and functions
if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
        . ~/.bashrc
fi

# User specific environment and startup programs

PATH=$PATH:/sbin:/usr/sbin:$HOME/bin:$HOME/python
ENV=$HOME/.bashrc
USERNAME="dougs"

export USERNAME ENV PATH

~
[dougs at mybox dougs]$

In my case I add the /sbin and /usr/sbin directories because I do a lot of
things like ifconfig.  The $HOME/bin and $HOME/python are where I keep the
scripts I develop to do my job so they need to be in my path but not others.
If they did I'd put them in /usr/local/bin and make sure that path is in
/etc/profile.

Notice in the output of the 'ls -al' command a couple of other .filename
entries.  You can find information about the ones for bash by doing a 'man
bash' command.  Probably much more info than you really wanted to know, but
if you spend some time learning even a litle of that your time spent on a
Linux machine will be more enjoyable.

Also notice the .vimrc file.  If you use vi as your editor its really vim
(vi improved) in disguise.  This file loads anything you want to preset.
For instance I have:

:version 4.0
:set ai

in mine which sets the auo indent function.  Very useful when I'm
programming Python.

-Doug-