[LUAU] proxy servers

bbraun at sparcy.synack.net bbraun at sparcy.synack.net
Fri Jan 29 14:31:15 PST 1999

This is a pretty vague question.
I'm guessing you mean masquerading.  There is an IP masquerading
howto at sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO.  Might be under mini.
There is also some reference to it in the RR HOWTO on the luau site.

But, you have another problem.  Does the linux machine have an IP
on it's special outside interface that is routed separatly from those
that the t1 routes?  If not, incoming traffic won't get back.  But,
lets assume that it does, and things work.

You'll need to have the linux box's internal interface take over the
IP address of the router (so all internal machines' default gateways
will now use the linux box), or have the machines change thier default
gateways.  If you're upto it, you can do RIP routing, and have the
t1 route favored, and when it goes down, let rip deal with routing.
I don't think non unix machines have a routed or gated though.
RIP info can be found in the routed man page, or _TCP/IP Illustrated,
Volume 1_ by Richard Stevens.

First, you'll want to fix your remote root vulnerabilities on your
redhat machine.  ;)

Rob