[LUAU] Linux apps getting more expensive?

David and Max Buddy at Mail-me.com
Fri Jan 29 00:16:39 PST 1999

>Yes, software has been becoming more expensive... I see a movement towards
>the DOS/Windows mode of operations. But even DOS/Windows had Shareware...
>and the need for a good, free, wordprocessor will eventually win out.

That's what I'm concerned about.  I hate seeing anything so money-dependent
like what's happening in Dos/Windows/Others world happens to the linux
community in the future.

>There are "free" Wordprocessors in development now. Koffice, Maxwell?, a
>few others that don't come to mind. No, they aren't as good as
>Wordperfect, but they are decent.

Yes....In fact, in terms of the needs of having a good wordprocessor, I
believe a raw-looking Emac or more fancy-looking Nedit should do the job
already.  There's really no need to have so many fancy functions that
normal users don't really or even know the existence of those functions.

>And sometimes free products outdoes non-free ones. I personally like
>Emacs, and nothing... no IDE... be it Codewarrior, Borland C, Visual
>Basic, comes NEAR to the convience it gives me.
>
>We are in a moment of transition, Linux is the new darling of the IT
>industry and only time will tell what will happen. But the kernel will
>always be free, and there will always be free apps... always an itch to
>scratch so to speak.

Yup.....totally agree.

-Max