[LUAU] cgi-bin

Seth Rightmer spun at lava.net
Mon Jan 25 16:33:38 PST 1999

On Sun, 24 Jan 1999, David C. Eason, Jr. wrote:

> Does the cgi-bin work "right out of the box" or does it require some
> tweeking.  I'm trying to set up some cgi scripts but have run into problems.
> Also, is there an easy way to determine if the cgi-bin is setup properly?
> I'm using slackware 3.5.

CGI should be configure properly if apache is installed.  I don't know
where slackware keeps apache's srm.conf file.  Maybe /home/httpd/conf,
maybe /var/spool/httpd/conf, maybe /etc/httpd/conf. Do a 'locate
srm.conf.'  You are looking for a couple of lines, maybe in seperate
places, first:
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /home/httpd/cgi-bin/
		      ^^^^^^^^^^^ should probably be the same as your
				  server root directory, whatever that is

And also:
AddHandler cgi-script .cgi	  #this will set it so files ending in
				  .cgi are executed as programs

finally, in the file access.conf, you should see lines like this:  P
<Directory /home/httpd/cgi-bin>
AllowOverride None
Options None
</Directory>

Configuring a web server is a complex process, and apaches documentation
kind off assumes you know the basics already.  I have found O'Reilly's
book "Webmaster in a Nutshell" invaluable, as it contains quick
references for html, perl, javascript, http headers, and server
configuration for apache, netscape, and CERN.