[LUAU] Multipile NIC's and Linux

Jeffrey Y. Sue jysue at aloha.net
Sun Jan 24 23:43:03 PST 1999

At 09:00 PM 1/24/99 -1000, you wrote:
>But it doesn't seem to recognize the cards. I have another 3c509b
>(they're my favorite since I seem to have less problems using them). But
>vaguely recall reading somewhere that using two of the same NIC cards
>won't work without some extra work.

This may have a problem in the past, but at least for my NIC's and kernel
(2.0.36), two of the same NIC's work fine. I bought the same brand, because
I had used them with Linux in the past and knew that it would work, and so
they wouldn't conflict.

My conf.modules:

alias eth0 ne
alias eth1 ne
options ne io=0x300,0x0340

(By the way, these were jumperless and I had to use DOS (and plug them into
DOS machines first) to set the IRQ and I/O address. Just wanted to remind
you to do that first, if they're jumperless, because I've messed up by
forgetting to set them up before using them in a Linux machine uninitialized.)

Check also the Ethernet HOWTO.