[LUAU] Version 2.2 kernel

Steve Anderson andersons001 at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Jan 21 18:03:32 PST 1999

 From: Linus Torvalds

 Hoya,

 there's now a 2.2.0-pre9 on ftp.kernel.org, and when you compile it it
will call itself 2.2.0-final. The reason is
 fairly obvious: enough is enough, and I can't make pre-kernels forever,
it just dilutes the whole idea. The only
 reason the tar-file is not called 2.2.0 is that I want to avoid having
any embarrassing typos that cause it to not
 compile under reasonable configurations or something like that.
Unreasonable configurations I no longer care
 about.

 Every program has bugs, and I'm sure there are still bugs in this. Get
over it - we've done our best, and nobody ever
 believed that there wouldn't be 2.2.x kernels to fix problems as they
come up, and delaying 2.2.0 forever is not an
 option.

 I have a wedding anniversary and a company party coming up, so I'm
taking a few days off - when I get back I
 expect to take this current 2.2.0-final and just remove the "-final"
from the Makefile, and that will be it. I suspect
 somebody _will_ find something embarrassing enough that I would fix it
too, but let's basically avoid planning on
 that.

 In short, before you post a bug-report about 2.2.0-final, I'd like you
to have the following simple guidelines:

 "Is this something Linus would be embarrassed enough about that he
would wear a brown paper bag over his head
 for a month?"

 and

 "Is this something that normal people would ever really care deeply
about?"

 If the answer to either question is "probably not", then please
consider just politely discussing it as a curiosity on
 the kernel mailing lists rather than even sending email about it to me:
I've been too busy the last few weeks, and I'd
 really appreciate it if I could just forget the worries of a release
for a few days..

 But if you find something hilariously stupid I did, feel free to share
it with me, and we'll laugh about it together
 (and I'll avoid wearing the brown paper bag on my head during the month
of February). Do we have a deal?

 I've seen people working on a 2.2.0 announcement, and I'm happy - I've
been too busy to think straight, much less
 worry about details like that. If everything turns out ok, I'll have a
few memorable bloopers in my mailbox but
 nothing worse than that, and I can sit down and actually read the
announcement texts that people have been
 discussing.

 ObFeatures:

     m68k sync
     various minor driver fixes (irda, net drivers, scsi, video, isdn)
     SGI Visual Workstation support
     adjtimex update to the latest standards
     vfat silly buglet fix
     semaphores work on alpha again
     drop the inline strstr() that gcc got wrong whatever we did
     kswapd needed to be a bit more aggressive
     minor TCP retransmission and delack fixes

 Until Monday,

 Linus