[LUAU] Last Night's Meeting

John W Christian jwchris at juno.com
Wed Jan 20 11:31:03 PST 1999

Aloha [Greetings],

Last night we had our 1st [Pizza] meeting at the MIC [Manoa Innovation
Center].

By all estimates, it worked out well.

1- We [kinda] joined the Pizza Meetings [& I believe the group like the
new format
{especially those who paid for pizza ;-) }]; and it looks like we will
definitely continue
this format [since we can have the room; and if we grow, the MIC does
have a larger facility we can use as well ;-)  ].

2- We had roughly 24 persons attend the event; and we now have users who
are
on other hardware platforms than Intel: 2-5 PwrPC [MAC] users, Solaris &
Dec users
as well [but don't quote me on the count].

The MAC users seem to favor MkLinux; but there maybe a LinuxPPC user out
there...
[maybe even a TurboLinuxPPC user... ;-) ]

3- We did end up distributing some SuSE cds [& George showed up {after he

finished work - y'know that bothersome thing we do to get fed... } with
CD's].  And you would not believe the amount of people at the MIC [who
came out of the woodwork to obtain copies of SuSE for them & their
friends - but did not attend the meeting... :-(   ].

We will distribute more SuSE CD's next month [Tuesday, Feb 16th, 6-6:30
PM at the MIC].

4-Thank You's

a- Michael Hasse for bringing out a computer to configure.
Unfortunately, our meeting went on till the pizza arrived; & so we will
try next month [2/16/99 6PM] to do it again.  And if anyone else is
interested in configuring the computer with Linux, email
the group [& we will try to arrange it too].

b- Michael Wise [? spelling I am not sure - dont have the list with me]
for informing the
group on DSL connectivity on Oahu [Mike for the Neighbor Islands as well
?  ;-) ]; & the types of access.

c- All the new attendees [most of whom I just met for the 1st time] for
their participation.    :-)

5- Discussed: [& as always open for discussion {all comments welcomed :-)
}]

a- A permanent site for our Web Page.  Some of the new attendees will be
woking on that for the group [& it is very appreciated ;-) ].  To our
usual LUAU members, who have been working on [& carrying the torch for
hosting] the LUAU web site, MUCH
MAHALO's.  Any & all ideas you have, email the group so we can come to a
consensus. ;-)

And updating the LUAU members list [still a pain since we lost Ed & his
scripts to do
it - our group hates reinventing the wheel...]

b- Security for Linux [always an interesting topic ;-) ]

c-  Road Runner connectivity; and what is happening [anyone know ? {an
official, or preferably unofficial but reliable, response would be
appreciated].

d- Our group will be Semi-Formal [or Informal still].  We will not go for
any registration / licsensing / whatever with any government
organization.  But at least we can get pizza [if we want].

e- updating our Web Page.  What consensus agreed on was our web page will
be no
larger than 5MB [probably 2MB].  Yet we had discussed whether to mirror
[or post] the various Linux Versions for download.  Pointing may be the
way.  Input is needed... :-)

6- New Items

a- HPCUG [Hawaii PC User's Group] would like us to affiliate with them.
So far, the
OS2 users group in Hawaii have done so; & the MAC users group maybe doing
the
same.  What HPCUG is attempting to do is give all computers users some
benifits,
ie:  discounts at CompUSA, free admission to the Blaidell for computer
events [& to
any expos/conferences/etc., free samples [for us it would be H/W], maybe
even lobbying efforts [I think I am stretching here] in support of
computer users with the State & Counties {remember the Neighbor
Islands... ;-) }.  Their idea is the bigger the affiliation, the bigger
the discounts we can obtain [not bad, eh?... ].  Input is needed... :-)

b- If possible, maybe we can get some business/government speakers for
talks on how they use Linux in the work place.  We know there has been a
lot of quiet / behind the scenes usage of Linux [but it would be nice to
have our leaders in the industry come out & talk about it
{confidentialty will be given if requested... }].

c- Once we get the Web pages up to snuff, I'll try to contact the Linux
Org to get us listed as a Linux Group in Hawaii [so we can meet all the
Linux Users in Hawaii who cannot find us - & there are many... ].  Most
of these Linux users I met do not believe our group is real; & we
definitely need to change that impression.  Input is needed... :-)

d- So far most of our discussions on Linux flavors & their applications
have been email [& will always be there].  But it would be nice to
actually see installs of these various flavors &/or operation &
administering.  Input is needed... :-)

All comments & suggestions are welcomed.  Please do give input to the
group. :-)

John