[LUAU] Recovery disc.

Mark Robinson sleeodoc at usa.net
Tue Jan 5 22:20:58 PST 1999

Max I have both ms and unix oses on my system I use drive image from powerquest
to make compressed images of partitions for instant repair. At a time when I
have an os working perfect I create a compressed partition image. I use 1 gig
partitions and the images are about 400 meg. Then when I want to refresh the os
I blow away the partition, and restore from the image. Creating the image for a
1 gig partition takes about a half hour. Restoring the partition takes about 5
minutes. One down side is that data added after you make the image won't be
restored so I often need to do a small amount of hand work before I do the
refresh. I avoid most of this by keeping the os stuff and system applications
on one partition and usr files on another. As I add new system stuff after I
really like the way it works I make a new image. For ms type oses the variable
system stuff is registry and profile files. for unix oses the /etc files get
changed with new os software and so hand work is necessary there.  Also some
type of media that can hold large image files is needed, like a jazz drive or
harddisk space, or as you suggest a cd. If you can make a dos bootable cd with
the drive image program and the image files you have a self contained rebuild
disk. It will all fit. I also use a boot manager which directs the boot process
into the correct partition for the os desired, so refreshing a partition
requires no messing with the boot process.

best Mark Robinson