[LUAU] Organization...

Yagyu Retsin yaguretsin at juno.com
Fri Feb 26 08:33:26 PST 1999

Re: The silence?????

It would help to comment if I knew what the purpose of LUAU is.

For the most part, reaching a goal, an objective, is easy if everyone
knows what it is.

Defining a goal may be the hard part because consensuses is always
difficult. Particularly when you have people with different skills have
individual personal objectives. I think the way to define the objective
is not to try to define a lofty goal, but allow it to percolate up from
the membership.

I get that Chris wants a cohesive professional group...
	Others just want to play with their toys; others still want to
make (that dreadful word) money.

I would suggest that a questionnaire at the next meeting, at the door,
kinda, "No form - no Pizza" to find out what people want.

Then a multifaceted objective can be drafted, breakout sessions and
special projects can be organized.
E.g. Objective:
	1. to have fun playing with ourselves and our  toys
	2. to promote the safe clean fun with our Linux in a box
	3. to provide a codependency support group for those addicted to
Linux
	4. to meet and impress girls

E.g. Training:
	intro to xwin, emacs, elvis
	programming in perl
	advanced proxy servers
	security
	mail systems
	etc.

But to get enthusiastic about LUAU, Linux, or any organization it has to,
at least in some part, give me something beyond comradery.

Or as the Rolling Stones put so well:
	"I can't get no satisfactions"
and later responded to their own call with
	"ya can't always get what ya want, but if ya try REAL hard ya
just might get what ya need!"

It just seems to me that without a focus, and that focus doesn't have to
be mutually exclusive, ya won't get no satisfactions.

In conclusion, you asked for feedback, and it's the right thing to do.
But asking "what do you want?" may get you silence. Asking "is basic perl
programming important?" might get a lot of no's but it will provide
feedback.

If you are asking "what do I want" :

	"I would like to see individuals who are knowledgable in specific
areas, say sendmail, or qmail, or majordomo, areas like security, or KDE,
or xwin, or VCN, or sql or web page, offer (or be assigned) to provide a
quarterly  works sessions and tutor the fledgling. Games and challenges
for different levels, like find the best resource on the web for... or
answer 10 obscure questions on sendmail config. (Like the Click & Clack
puzzler.) I would like activities that are meaningful and informative,
like an hour on partitioning, for the newbies, and log analysis for
intermediate, and sendmail conf for the advanced. (again the tutors). I
would like to pick and choose, so at a monthly meeting two or three
concurrent sessions can run simultaneously.

After all the only thing we have in common is our humanity and interest
in linux. Oh, yeah, What I don't want is to sit around  a conference
table and have someone lecture to me about fiber optics or some equally
obscure topic trying to impress me with their limitless knowledge base in
an area that I don't understand or care about, or to have some pompous
ass talk down to me in jibberish jargon because I don't know the
shorthand. Impatience is not a virtue."

Nuff said, Tis feedback not intended to flame anyone in particular.

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999 12:25:13 -1000 (HST) Chris Wong
<wongc at math.ed.hawaii.edu> writes:
>On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Zachary P. Taylor wrote:
>
>> a while back I suggested making sub groups for people to help
>> work in, Web Page, Media, Projects, ect. I never received any
>response
>> either, so don't feel to bad. It was suggested before and no one
>> wanted or had the time to get involved, so I don't think that
>another
>> person making the same suggestion is going to have any better
>results.
>
>Oh well... so in your opinion... think it'll work?
>
>I'd say 50/50 at this point... the silence is unnerving.
>
>I'm going to go ahead and try to create the infrastructure... if
>anybody
>wants to help me, come and ask.
>
>Otherwise, we'll just see.
>

>--
>    / /  / / / / __  / / / /  Home Page: http://luau.hi.net
>  /____/\____/_/ /_/\____/  LUAU - Linux Users Anonymous - Hawaii

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]
--
    / /  / / / / __  / / / /  Home Page: http://luau.hi.net