[LUAU] Sendmail Strangeness

The Tuba God jhealy at wso.williams.edu
Wed Feb 24 11:30:11 PST 1999

>Okay... on my (very lightly loaded) system...
>lsof|grep sendmail|wc -l
>     17
>
>Are you passing the -l flag? Otherwise you're counting words I think.

Nope... that's *lines*

>Otherwise... that's rather high for your sendmail. What does your queue
>look like? (mailq)

Well, with the listserver traffic as it is... mailq is about 1000 lines
long right now, with about 500 messages to process (the extra lines come
from multiple addresses to send to).

>Ummm... that's all I can think of that could cause this.
>
>It also looks like someother process has the rest of the filehandles...

Apache, maybe?  The web servers under a normal load right now, and it's
taking 1218 lines....

Here's a quick dump of the number of lines devoted to each unique entry:

wso: 30 users,  load average: 0.22, 0.26, 0.20

1915    httpd
435     bash
375     in.telnet
272     pine
124     sendmail
66      getty
33      newmail
32      telnet
28      talk
28      syslogd
24      sshd1
20      lsof
19      inetd
17      tcsh
16      sshd
16      imapd
15      xntpd
14      lpd
13      cron
12      atd
11      portmap
11      gpm
8       klogd
6       init
5       update
3       kswapd
3       kpiod
3       kflushd
Total: 3525

god I love perl...

Jason

          Jason Healy            |  "Oh my god Chris -- your buffness is
    jhealy at wso.williams.edu      |   like, poking out at me!"
http://wso.williams.edu/~jhealy  |                            - Michelle

--
    / /  / / / / __  / / / /  Home Page: http://luau.hi.net