[LUAU] Sendmail Strangeness

The Tuba God jhealy at wso.williams.edu
Wed Feb 24 10:26:40 PST 1999

>Yes... but WHY? What process is eating up all the filehandles?

Well, someone just went and installed 2.2.2... I guess that'll throw some
stuff off...

Nice thing is that lsof works now, so let's see what we're getting:

lsof | wc 			= 2562
lsof | grep httpd | wc 		= 973 (web server lightly loaded right now)
lsof | grep sendmail | wc 	= 424

Just from looking at the output, it seems like there's a lot of /lib/ files
being opened, and many are shared between different calls to the same
program, so the line count doesn't really represent the number of open
files (I think).

If somebody could tell me more or less what I need to see in lsof, that
would help -- the man page is a tad dense.  I'm not really sure what I
should be looking for right now.

Jason

          Jason Healy            |  "Oh my god Chris -- your buffness is
    jhealy at wso.williams.edu      |   like, poking out at me!"
http://wso.williams.edu/~jhealy  |                            - Michelle

--
    / /  / / / / __  / / / /  Home Page: http://luau.hi.net