[LUAU] Sendmail Strangeness

The Tuba God jhealy at wso.williams.edu
Wed Feb 24 07:51:19 PST 1999

>It sounded like the system running out of descriptors... and it shouldn't
>run out file descriptors anyhow. 256 is plenty.

Borrowing a little advice from the linux-kernel archive:

% cd /proc/sys/kernel/
% cat file-max file-nr inode-max inode-nr
1024		(max # of openable files in system)
1080		(# of actual opened files)
3072		(max # of openable inodes in system)
3072    2277	(# of actual opened inodes)

Now, I don't know exactly what this stuff is, but if the kernel list types
aren't lying, then it would seem I've found my problem -- more opened files
then are allowed.  I'm not sure how the second number even got to the point
where it exceeded the first, but I would assume that's the trouble.

So, is the solution now to up those numbers?  The kernel guys think I
should just echo a new var into "file-max" and "inode-max" to up the number
of openable files.  Sounds a little non-standard, but hey...

In the meantime, any advice on getting lsof working?  I would like to see
what is actually opening all these files, even if I up the number.

Jason

          Jason Healy            |  "Oh my god Chris -- your buffness is
    jhealy at wso.williams.edu      |   like, poking out at me!"
http://wso.williams.edu/~jhealy  |                            - Michelle

--
    / /  / / / / __  / / / /  Home Page: http://luau.hi.net