[LUAU] Sendmail Strangeness

The Tuba God jhealy at wso.williams.edu
Tue Feb 23 17:06:08 PST 1999

>Well that settles that. Sendmail can't open a file descriptor to connect
>to DNS.
>
>Weird.
>
>> I guess that might have something to do with it...  Is the max number of
>> files to have open something that's stored in the kernel?  How would I
>> change it?  And, what should I change it to (we run a fairly large web
>> server and shell server on this machine -- plenty of free memory)?
>
>It's almost definately related to that. However, should support sufficent
>amounts of file descriptors ... what else is running on it???

it's a dual pent II 300 with 256MB of RAM.  It's *the* server for Williams
Students Online -- it does mail ftp shell, but most importantly web.  We're
serving an awful lot of web pages, so I wonder if that has something to do
with it...

Jason

          Jason Healy            |  "Oh my god Chris -- your buffness is
    jhealy at wso.williams.edu      |   like, poking out at me!"
http://wso.williams.edu/~jhealy  |                            - Michelle

--
    / /  / / / / __  / / / /  Home Page: http://luau.hi.net