[LUAU] Security hole: "zgv"

Steve Anderson andersons001 at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Feb 20 16:25:38 PST 1999

Pulled this from Linux Today:

  From: Chris Evans <chris at FERRET.LMH.OX.AC.UK>
  Subject: Security hole: "zgv"
  Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 18:10:00 +0000
 To: BUGTRAQ at netspace.org

 Overview: "zgv" is an image viewer which runs under SVGAlib at the
linux
 console (probably BSD too). It has to be installed suid-root to access
 graphics hardware.

 History: "zgv" has a long history of security problems. This includes
 relatively boring and trivial buffer overflows to the more recent leak
of
 privileged file descriptors to child processes.

 This latter hole was interesting. It demonstrated that while an SVGAlib

 application drops root privileges after initializing, it is still
 vulnerable to buffer overflows because the program holds a vital
resource;
 a writeable file descriptor to /dev/mem. This applies to all SVGAlib
 programs.

 The new hole I have found _also_ involves leak of privileges to child
 processes. This is an issue because a user may supply via the "-a"
option
 that zgv is to launch a different program to view the picture (using
zgv
 just as a graphical file manager).

 The precise privilege leaked to child processes is iopl(3). This is a
 processor privilege on intel. iopl(3) gives access to all i/o ports
(ouch)
 and also usage of the cli(), sti() commands.

 Going from iopl(3) privs -> root is non-trivial but very possible.

 I recommend no SVGAlib programs are installed on "secure" systems. Too
 many programmers of SVGAlib stuff assume that SVGAlib will drop all
privs.
 It may drop root, but still retains resources which if taken over can
lead
 easily to root (/dev/mem fd, iopl(3)).

 Best to just "rpm -e zgv".

 I have closed this hole in some RPMs for RedHat5.2 by disabling the
"-a"
 option.[*]  If you like/use zgv feel free to use these. They are at
 ftp://ftp.lmh.ox.ac.uk/users/chris/security. Here are the md5sums

 02735c8871bdb7ea6250fa69e7aa32f8  zgv-3.0-7.i386.rpm
 9175ae3db3c2fff266f595fde412913f  zgv-3.0-7.src.rpm

 This incident leaves me curious as to which other programs use this
 privilege? The X server certainly does. Can anyone tell me if the X
server
 ever launches child processes?

 Cheers
 Chris

 [*] I couldn't close this hole by doing iopl(0) in the child because,
in
 Linux-2.0.x you need root privs to lower your iopl! I got this fixed in

 2.2.x.

--
    / /  / / / / __  / / / /  Home Page: http://luau.hi.net