[LUAU] Feburary's Meeting

Chris Wong wongc at math.ed.hawaii.edu
Wed Feb 17 10:20:10 PST 1999

Well, I think I'll type this up this time since I got the agenda (not like
we followed it) and some notes I wrote up.

I think around 25 people showed up again. Some the same, some different.
I've a feeling a few won't be coming back but we'll see.

We discussed the web page, and it's location. Thanks Zach for the page and
we'll get you some help in the future.

A couple of things to place on it... for one, a personal view I have is to
make it a bit more dynamic in content... more on that later. But first,
we should place meeting annoucements, maps, security flaws, pertinent
links, documentation for stuf flike RoadRunners and ISP specific things. A
project section and of course.. a mission statement. Again.. more on that
later.

There are a few sites in UH and in HEI that we can use for another
Install-Fest should we choose to go through that again.

Donovan Chun gave a nice description of the Linux Router Project and Ron
Fox brought his cool LCD projector and laptop and showed us how VNC
works.

Which means... for the first time, I didn't have to speak! (Yeah!)

I didn't get a chance to go into Linux in the Enterprise... however, the
next few series of meetings should cover it.

And.. believe it or not... next month's meeting (which is March 16th so
mark your calendars, Palm Pilots, Psions, Stone Tablets, whatevers) should
have us setting up an internal network of computers (hopefully I'll get my
laptop running by then) demonstrating Samba, IP Masqurading, and maybe
XFce.

Also, an idea was given to me by John Christian for organizing the group.
For those of you who balked at stronger organization I think you'd like
this. For those who wanted organization I think this is good too.

I'll go into that in a later message.

--
    / /  / / / / __  / / / /  Home Page: http://luau.hi.net