[LUAU] SuSE advantages

George Toft LinuxAdvocate at iname.com
Fri Feb 12 22:20:45 PST 1999

Keith Leong wrote:

> Could some one tell me what is special about the SuSE distribution?  I would like to know before I blow away my Slackware and install SuSE 5.3.

I can only compare SuSE vs RedHat.

If you're a GUI type, the various window managers are
set up nicer.  SaX, the X configuration tool, is
awesome.

The admin tool is completely text-based, so you don't
have to run X to do simple stuff.  Of course this
means little if you're a command line commando.

Unfortunately, SuSE doesn't come with a DHCP client,
although you can download one from their site.

BIG WARNING:  SuSE 5.3 is libc5-based.  They included
glibc2 libraries to run glibc2 programs, but the
distro is compiled against libc5.  SuSE 6.0 is
glibc2-based.

I'm avoiding SuSE 6.0 to give it time to settle out.
6.1 should have the 2.2 kernel.

Overall, I think SuSE makes a great workstation OS,
and Red Hat makes a good gateway OS.

NEXT BIG WARNING: SuSE has been catching a lot of
flack lately for their lack of North American
support.  If you speak German, you can go to their
German website and keep up-to-date.  Red Hat seems
to support the US market much better.

Finally, if you subscribe to the distribution's
mailing list, you'll find the SuSE group much nicer
and helpful - much like those of us on LUAU.

George
--
    / /  / / / / __  / / / /  Home Page: http://luau.hi.net