[LUAU] SuSE advantages

Chris Wong wongc at math.ed.hawaii.edu
Fri Feb 12 17:10:43 PST 1999

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, Keith Leong wrote:

> Could some one tell me what is special about the SuSE distribution?
> I would like to know before I blow away my Slackware and install SuSE
> 5.3.

What I do understand is that SuSE is relatively stable, but I don't know
what their design philosphy is. I'll name those I do know and correct me
if I'm wrong.

Redhat: Cutting Edge. Easy to use package management system.
Caldera: Stable, Business oriented distro.
Slackware: Ol' Reliable. :) Very much a hacker's OS in that you really get
to play with the innards. To get anything installed you generally have to
compile and install it yourself... very good as a learning tool.
Debian: High Quality, Stable. Very advanced package mangement system.
Stampede: Similiar to Slackware except built around pgcc so theorhetically
faster on a Pentium.
Ydgrasill (sp): Completely, totally and utterly dead???

That's all I know off hand. I'm partial to Debian and Slackware myself.
I'm lazy. I don't like downloading by hand. dselect, and now apt-get and
away you go. :)

A few notes... at first the other systems seem pointless compared to
Slackware. You don't know what to touch, you're afraid of breaking
something. That will pass with time, but I'm still afraid of touching my
Debian box for a lot of things... probably because I intend to upgrade to
2.1 when it does come out.

Otherwise.. good luck and hopefully somebody else can help you. :)

--
    / /  / / / / __  / / / /  Home Page: http://luau.hi.net