[LUAU] Re: [Apache configured notices in error_log]

Ronald L Fox rfox at dls.queens.org
Tue Feb 9 19:46:13 PST 1999

I see the same kind of messages on a RedHat5.0 system in
/var/log/httpd/error_log and error_log.1 ... error_log.4

The notices are caused by logrotate running out of cron.daily using
the /etc/logrotate.conf configuration which 'includes' the files in
/etc/logrotate.d, one of which is apache which has instructions for
rotating (renameing error_log to error_log.1, etc) the 4 possible
apache logs in /var/log/httpd/ followed by a postrotate command of
/usr/bin/killall -HUP httpd.  This will cause all the processes
running httpd to receive the "HangUp" signal which they react to by
re-reading the Apache configuration file(s) and creating the new
error_log file.

On my system, in each of the error_log.n files, the first entry
looks like:
[Sun Jan 31 01:02:50 1999] Server configured -- resuming normal operations

and the last entry looks like:
[Sun Feb  7 01:02:36 1999] SIGHUP received.  Attempting to restart

There may be other such entries if you change your Apache configuration
files or explicitly send the httpd processes a "SIGHUP".

All part of the normal housekeeping that Linux performs so well.

Hope this helps,
Ron

Ronald L Fox                      E-mail: rfox at dls.queens.org
Diagnostic Laboratory Services    Phone:  (808) 589-5172
Honolulu, Hawaii