[LUAU] Compile Problems

Scott Cooley scott at hi.net
Thu Apr 29 22:12:19 PDT 1999

> I'm pretty new to Linux and am having problems compiling programs in general
> as well as compiling a kernal.
> My system is comprised of the following:
>
> AMD K6-2 3D 450Mhz MMX
> 128MB SDRAM PC100Mhz
> 3.2GB Seagate Medalist
> FIC 503+ ATX Version 100Mhz
> Enlight ATX Mid Tower Case
> Matrox Video card 4MB Ram
> 32X IDE CDROM
>
> I'm curious as to whether or not this particular CPU is compatible with
> Linux.

This is a very nice setup and is quite similar to what I'm running.

Often I've seen problems in compiling programs and kernels if your
processor type in the kernel is set to something higher than your
processor can handle.  For example, for the K6 family you have to select
"Pentium" as oppsed to "PPro."

Try booting from a the kernel that came with your distribution; it is most
likely compiled as a 386.  Then re-configure and compile your kernel
making sure to select the proper CPU type.  See the help for "Processor
Type" for more info.

If this doesn't do it, I'd say it could be faulty hardware, RAM, etc,
because this configuration has been known to run great under Linux.
anyone else have ideas??

Scott

--
    / /  / / / / __  / / / /  Home Page: http://luau.hi.net