[LUAU] Xinetd..

bbraun at sparcy.synack.net bbraun at sparcy.synack.net
Wed Apr 21 09:36:02 PDT 1999

On Tuesday, Apr 1999 at 13:59:45 Chris Wong wrote:

 | xinetd I use on machines that I use and have to secure. The idea of
 | running a separate program (tcp wrappers) for each connect disturbs me and
 | hence I like xinetd for that purpose.

 Plus, now that xinetd can be compiled with libwrap support, it makes
 things a little nicer.

 | So basically there are no clear advantages? I'm just rambling...

 Not really.  xinetd provides many features that you can find elsewhere
 (ipautofw on linux, patches to linux's inetd, etc) but puts it all in
 one multiplatform package.  I'd kind of compare it to whether you like
 bash vs. tcsh, they both can do the same things.

 Believe it or not, the majority of people out there smart enough to
 know what inetd is and tune it properly, don't run linux.  And
 surprisingly, many run OS' where they don't have source to inetd,
 or don't have the time to make the proper modifications.
 Sure, I have solaris source, and can properly tune it's inetd to do
 what I want, but if the features are already in xinetd, and it runs
 fine on all my architectures I administer, why hack each OS' inetd?
 The GNU inetd certainly doesn't compile well under non glibc
 platforms (it can still be done, but its a pain).  The GNU system
 is getting rather incestuous these days.

 Rob
--
    / /  / / / / __  / / / /  Home Page: http://luau.hi.net