[LUAU] Millenium Worm

George Toft LinuxAdvocate at iname.com
Sat Apr 17 10:08:16 PDT 1999

George Toft wrote:

> bbraun at sparcy.synack.net wrote:
> >
> > You use RedHat or SuSE don't you?
>
> Yeah.

Looking at logs on my SuSE machine, this worm tried
for a couple hours to get in, but did not succeed.
Score one for SuSE!!!

> > All these have been known about for a year or more.
> > Check the bugtraq and rootshell advisories on the
> > things referenced in the script.
> >
> > mountd was a major one that redhat screwed up on
> > big time.  It was known a long time before the
> > distribution was shipped.  In fact Olaf
> > (the maintainer) posted information about the
> > exploit to the linux nfs mailing lists, I believe.
> > Almost all other distributions were using a
> > relativly recent version of mountd, so they were
> > ok.
> >
> > The pop and imap exploits were running around about
> > a year ago now, I think.  If you're running an open
> > pop or imap server, you deserve what you get.
>
> No red face here - no pop and no imap in my inetd.conf.

I spent a couple hours looking at the code for the worm.
It ftp's it's own source (and qpopper) and compiles it
on the host.  So even if I didn't have qpopper then,
now I do.

Seems to me I could have prevented this attack from
proceeding by:  Not having gcc and ftp (client)
installed; and (probably) by not using RedHat.

The code to this worm is fascinating.  For someone
learning network programming using C, it would
be very enlightening.

--
George Toft    http://gtoft.dynip.com/LinuxAdvocate/

     Don't fear the penguins...