[LUAU] File Permissions

Myles Uyema myles at uyema.net
Tue Apr 13 00:56:56 PDT 1999

On Mon, 12 Apr 1999, maleko wrote:

> Hi, i was wondering, how could i add file permissions to users. Lets say
> you're logged in as root, and then you add a user named luau. It makes the
> directory /home/luau , how can i get the user, luau, to have read, write,
> and execute flags to that directory, and to ANY other directory thats in
> there, and to make the properties available to all the files and
> directories, so i dont have to go one by one each file. here... for
> example, /home/luau/linux  , how could i make the user have those flags. Is
> there any specific directory i have to be in to make these flags? Thanks

Are you saying that your adduser program/script/utility doesn't set the
correct permissions for said user's home directory and everything below
it?  This shouldn't be happening.  Assuming I'm guessing correctly, and
/home/luau is NOT owned by 'luau', then you would simply use the chown
command with its recursive parameter: chown --recursive luau /home/luau

If the permissions are incorrect, then you might also have to use the
chmod command, again with its recursive parameter: chmod u+rwx /home/luau

If the permissions are incorrect, you might also check to see if the
/etc/skel directory has the correct permissions, since from my
experience, the adduser scripts will take /etc/skel and use that to
create the new user's home directory.  I believe permissions are
preserved, and normally ownership is given to the user for their home
directory.

Myles

--
    / /  / / / / __  / / / /  Home Page: http://luau.hi.net