[LUAU] TCP/IP WANs

Yuser yuser at hi.net
Thu Dec 31 19:47:18 PST 1998

At 03:06 PM 12/31/98 -1000, you wrote:
>Here's a general TCP/IP question i need help with...
>
>I've been presented with the challenge of networking a local office to a
>remote site using TCP/IP.  The specs call for using a leased line and IP
>routers / CSU/DSU units on both ends.  I've never done such a WAN before
>so could anybody point me in the right direction as far as what hardware
>is required (brands etc) and what type of phone line is required?
>
>My other idea as i posted a while ago is to use RoadRunner businses on
>each end with appropriate firewalls, but I wanted to avoid the cost of
>two more linux boxes to do the firewalling / gatewaying.  Also in the
rare
>occasion the IP would change, it could bring the whole link down couldn't
>it.
>
>thanks in advance,
>scott

I've used Racal's for 56k connections and Verilink ConnecT-1 CSU/DSU's for
up to T1 coupled with various Bay Network routers.  For our remote sites
that only need a 56k feed we use Cabletron CSX200's.  They connect
directly to a telco 56k line and have 12 ports for local computers, all in
one easily configurable unit, they would be perfect for your need if they
are in your bandwidth req.  Of course anything mentioned above will cost
ALOT more then your Linux/CM option.  You can check Cabletrons web site or
vendor of your choice for comparable equipment.  There are probably 10000
different ways to acomplish what you think you need.  Maybe you can escape
the phone line problems, Its your end, no their end, no your end, no their
end.  Sorry Sir, that line tested fine.  Luckily I dont dont determine
what is needed, I just install, configure, and troubleshoot what someone
else thought we needed.