[LUAU] Mounting Drives and floppy access

bbraun at sparcy.synack.net bbraun at sparcy.synack.net
Thu Dec 17 21:08:55 PST 1998

On Thursday, Dec 1998 at 19:2:31 Chris Wong wrote:

 | I think mtools might be a better bet. There's been quite a few bugs in
 | mount. The kind that can give the user root access.

 Have you fixed the permissions on your mount though?  ;)
 mount comes mode 4755 on most distributions, and that's all that
 matters for almost all buffer overflow attacks.  If you havn't
 changed the perms on it to something like 500, then there is no
 additional security risk by adding a reasonable entry to /etc/fstab.

 Also, almost all distributions (redhat, slackware, debian, suse?)
 ship with a decrepit version of mount.  If you can't swapon a file,
 then your mount is ancient.  Always helps to have the newest version,
 anyway.  =)

 Rob