[LUAU] Xlock and xscreensaver

Seth Rightmer spun at lava.net
Wed Dec 9 23:54:41 PST 1998

what you really want is to set it up to log you out.  Okay, it's probably your
home box, but why on earth would you STAY logged in as root for longer than it
takes to do whatever rooty thing you need to do.  For that matter, why log in
to X as root at all, why not just log in as you and su to root in an xterm?  I
speak from experience when I say it is far to easy to type something dumb as
root when you are ALWAYS root, and a lot harder if you have to do something
special to get there. having to type su and a password everytime reminds me to
be careful.  Do you always strip leading /s or list first when you untar or
unzip a new file?  I don't-but I don't untar stuff as root, either, so no harm
done if some joker has put something stupid in them.  Think of it as virus
protection for unix.