[LUAU] 4.3 Gig Drives

bbraun at sparcy.synack.net bbraun at sparcy.synack.net
Fri Dec 4 07:40:36 PST 1998

Quick rundown before I go to Boston for Usenix conference.

Basically, installed the disk mapping software, which thoughtfully
places its self in the MBR.  First hack was to dd the first 512 bytes
off the hard disk, which should include the mbr.  Then install lilo,
then place those 512 bytes into the first 512 bytes of the partition.
This way, lilo boots, software runs, then linux boots.  This kind of
worked.  The much better solution was to just install lilo in the
first partition rather than in the mbr.  This is all fine and dandy
as long as your first partition is a linux partition.
So in this way you have software run, lilo boots, linux boots.

A similar method makes lilo work with the NT boot loader (piece of crap).

Rob