[LUAU] Monolith departs

George Toft toftd001 at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Dec 3 22:03:09 PST 1998

Scott Cooley wrote:

> > Looks like Monolith Freedns is no more (see http://www.ml.org/news.html).
> > Anyone have a good alterative ??
> >
> > Jack
>
> I think it's called netspire, or ddns.org.  They provide yourname.ddns.org
> and I think it might be free, though they might have started charging like
> $10/yr or something.  They have native linux clients (don't use lynx like
> ml did) that work pretty well.  You can also buy a domain from InterNICfor
> $100 and have them be your DNS server so your domain name would be mapped
> to your dynamic RR address...much is possible.  Check out www.ddns.org.
>
> scott

I investigated this - it will cost $50/year to remap a yourname.com
to RR dynamic IP, and the DNS resolution is pretty slow.  A Singaporean
friend of mine explained why any net traffic is slow going into
Singapore (DDNS is in Singapore), so this may not be an option.

I'm searching for dynamic DNS services now - I used "free dynamic DNS"
in AltaVista.  I can't recommend any, yet.

George